Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mat Man


Olivia's school is using the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum to teach handwriting.
I was able to take Olivia to a parent meeting where we got to see what the kids are doing in the class room. Olivia's favorite was the mat man. This little guy is to teach the kids that things have an order and a top, middle, and bottom. We were given these handouts and Olivia came home and made her mat man all by herself. She cut everything, laid out everything, and proudly told me she was done. She did are really good job.
There are several teaching techniques to this program such as using sticks to form the letter, using small chalkboards, small magna doodles, play dough to form the letters, songs about the processes, etc. It's quite creative and a very enjoyable program for the kids. Now that I better understand the program, I can do a better job of supporting the program at home.
Olivia is very interested in writing right now. Her name has greatly improved and she is very interested in writing words if I tell her how to spell it.
Her cutting skills have also really progressed. Her teacher pointed out her cutting skills as a point of concern at parent teacher conference and over the school break Olivia wanted to do art project after art project which always included her scissors and now look at her. She completely cut the mat man out herself. She is getting so big!!

That reminds me...Olivia had her school screening on Monday and boy it was nerve racking for me. It felt like part of me was being tested. I tried really hard to be relaxed but I thought I would be allowed in the room and when I wasn't that stressed me out. But I watched through the door and gave encouraging smiles anytime Olivia looked for me.
She did a GREAT job at being comfortable and confident in her answers. She excelled at everything and either met or exceeded expectations in all areas except hopping, skipping, and catching. These are areas I knew she struggled with but I'm not concerned. She passed her colors, cutting, counting, problem solving, writing, letter recognition, rhyming, fine motor skills, etc.
Oh they also mentioned that she would uncover her right eye to better see the images and advised an eye check. Since I have to get one before she enters kindergarten I can do it at the same time.

0 comments: