I was at playgroup when a very bad storm hit. Didn't know it was coming but luckily it hit when I was indoors. We knew it was bad. The rain was sideways, the wind was horrible, and the lights kept trying to go out. We were so thankful we were inside and weren't caught in this while driving (because I was about to leave).
As I drove home I saw lots of limbs down and trash cans blown over. When I got home I saw lots of leaves in the yard but no big deal. I quickly went down stairs to see how much water had come in. When we get really hard rain we still get some water coming in. I was surprised that the towels were hardly wet. As I came upstairs I thought I heard something. When I looked outside I saw someone driving away. I though maybe he was trying to tell me something and I knew I hadn't yet looked into the back yard to see if all was well back there. I was just expecting some large dead limbs to have come down from the big tree in our neighbors yard that extends into ours. As I looked I saw a couple and then I turned to look at our side yard and my jaw dropped.
Our beautiful Bradford Pear Tree was over the fence into our back yard. I quickly went out to assess the damage.
As sad as I was that it was this tree and not the one beside it we were grateful that it was far from the house and that we only have some fence damage.
Quickly found out that people were driving up and sticking their numbers in our door offering to cut the tree down for us. They didn't knock to talk with me, they just left their numbers. I didn't like the attention the house was receiving due to the damage.
When Tom got home he assessed the damage and then started inquiring who had chainsaws he could borrow. We got a chain saw loaned to us but it was too late to start work. We also were advised of a friend to call to ask for help because they were known to be good with taking trees down.
As we were getting the kids ready for bed we heard more thunder so I thought I'd turn on the TV to check. Sure enough we were in a tornado warning. Just as Tom confirms their is rotation sited about 8 miles from us we hear the sirens and head down stairs. The kids of course thought it odd that instead of heading to their beds we were headed downstairs. But with the water issues we don't go downstairs very often any more so they were excited to play with the toys down there. We waited it out and watched the radar and then brought the kids up for bed.
The next morning we again got a lot of attention from our downed tree. One tree service was so persistent Tom and I were stressed out and mad by the time we got them to take no for an answer and leave us alone. Once Tom's friend came over they got to work and it took them about 4 hours to complete the job. The wood is going to be used for scout camp outs so at least it has a use.
Sadly I didn't get any pictures of the process of cutting it all up.
Tom is still completely in one piece. I was a bit up tight about it all when he said he wanted to take care of it himself but had never used a chainsaw. I'm so proud of him for the way he takes care of his home and family!! Besides being sore, a rash on his neck, and maybe a scratch or two he is fine.
0 comments:
Post a Comment