Thursday, July 15, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

The day before kindergarten Olivia was so excited she packed her own lunch by making her own peanut butter and jelly sandwich, gathering snacks, complete with a drink and packed them all in her lunch box. She even put her socks and shoes on and headed to kindergarten which for that day was in her room. She had art class, ate her lunch, and then came home. It was so cute!!

The night before kindergarten Olivia had a very hard time falling asleep. She was nervous and anxious. She was worried she'd by shy and have a hard time making friends. I reminded her how kind she was and that it would be easy to make friends because everyone would see her kindness. It took 2 hours for her to fall asleep.

We got her ready and she was all smiles and excitement.


Waiting for the school bus.



Ready to go.



Waving bye!


Dylan ran a ways and then stopped - I think he had mixed emotions about Sister's big day too.


I quickly drove up to the school to see Olivia at school.
They took the big kids off first and then brought the little ones off and labeled their hands with their bus number. Then they escorted them to the kindergarten hallway. I was happy I was there -- I thought the lady who took this bus load of kindergarten kids did not do a good enough job of keeping them together and with her. I was able to get Olivia to her classroom and was assured by how much she remembered about her school. We have walked the path a handful of times and she had her map in case. Love how prepared she was with her map and watch.


Ready to start my first day!!


At my desk and all is well - bye Mommy!
Olivia thought about being sad but I told her I was coming right back for lunch.


Olivia was all smiles at lunch. She was sitting by her friend Kelsey (they were in dance class together) that is in her class. She even told me she was having so much fun she didn't even realize so much time had past. Olivia was a little overwhelmed by the pressure to eat her lunch quickly enough. Again as I told her I'd see her at home she thought about being sad so we exchanged kisses in our hands to hold the others kisses in and she happily let me go.


With it being a hot July day they had heat dismissal and Olivia was later coming home on the bus because of their precautions. They give the kids water and I believe a damp cloth and assemble them in the gym and then they take the kids out per bus and load them at once so the bus can quickly take off. Limiting how long the kids sit unnecessarily on the bus.

Olivia came off the bus all smiles and even stopped to wave as it drove away. Then when we asked to hear all about her day she sat her book bag down and opened it right up to show us what she had done in school before we even got inside. They had learned all about the word "ME" and she had colored a picture of herself.

She naturally seemed very tired and crashed for a while. She was thinking about getting to a project or two but got told it was time for bath and bed to get ready for the next day.

She is very excited to go back but it was a hard night of tired emotions. She is sad that school is all day and she misses what Mommy, brother, and sister are doing. She also said that all day didn't leave time to play and she wished school was only in the afternoons like preschool had been. It took her a while to fall asleep tonight too.

So many emotions and so much to adjust to...

Dylan was also having a hard time with the emotions because it's a lot for him to adjust to as well.


0 comments: